Friday 4 November 2016

Welcome little Rayes! - Part 1

We are really excited about this pregnancy even though it is my 3rd.  We prayed for God to bless us with our 3rd baby and leave everything in God’s loving Hands. It turns out that God wants my boys to have 3 years gap each. I guess this is also good in a way as it gives me sufficient time to recuperate. We trust that God’s plan is definitely the best!

Missing my menses is nothing new to me as my cycle has always been a mess. It could be as late as a few days to a few weeks and even a few months. I was told that I have polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS), hence the very irregular menses. So you can imagine how thankful we are back then when I was pregnant with my first boy and then 2nd……God has really blessed us more than we can imagine. So to me, childbearing is really up to God and not something within my control.

This is also the first time that I tested myself positive with a pregnancy kit. The second line is so faint I am really doubtful if I’m pregnant and feel so tempted to buy a few more kits to reassure myself. Moreover, I do not have obvious pregnancy symptoms except that I felt like someone has punched me hard in my tummy. But one look at the test, my hubby Ray said confidently that it is a positive test, I wonder how he can be so sure.

“A line is a line, no matter how faint it is.” My cool as a cucumber hubby said.


A line as faint as this is a +ve test...couldn't really capture it on picture

So we waited for a few more weeks to visit our gynae, so good to see our lovely Dr Yeap again, and we saw on the screen our 3rd little baby and heard his strong heartbeat! So thrilled!!! We’re going to have a baby again! I can’t wait to see him! 

Thank God that this pregnancy went pretty smoothly. As with the previous 2, I did not experience much morning sickness except for some bloating, loss of appetite and felt a bit nauseous during the 1st trimester. Energy level was high during my 2nd trimester and I managed to bring my 2 boys around for outings, play dates etc during the June holidays.

This time round, my gynae Dr Yeap wanted me to rest more because she is worried of premature birth. My waterbag burst unexpectedly at week 35 for Rayden (2nd boy), one day after my routine check-up. .

Dr Yeap: "So you start your leave in September?"

Me: "Ermm...Oct...PSLE will be over by then."

And so, for the first time, I'm granted some rest before I popped, unlike my previous 2 pregnancies which I worked till I delivered. Climbing the staircases at school is no joke, especially for Rayden (2nd boy), I kept having the feeling that he is going to drop out anytime.

I am so thankful for the break but I guess I did not heed Dr Yeap's advice and rest. I was as busy at home. I wanted to make full use of all my free time and continued to cook in the mornings for my boys and hubby. I continued to ferry my boys thru and fro their school. I continued to bring my boys out, wanting to spend more time with them before I get busy with the littlest one again. I continued to drive myself around, squeezing myself into the driver seat. I continued to tidy whatever I could at home.

Attending my colleague's wedding a few days before my water bag burst

                                                  

The last straw

I brought my boys swimming one morning and to my dismay, there aren't any benches near the children's swimming pools! The benches available would be too far for me to monitor my boys, hence I ended up standing all the way for as long as they were in the pool.

That night while bathing, I could feel something tender down there, I thought nothing of it thinking it must be baby Rayes exerting pressure which caused some swelling and I would be fine after some rest.

The next morning, I continued to prepare my bentos but something just felt not quite right. I just felt weird...there wasn't any pain but I could feel the pressure in my tummy, like something was going to drop out...everything felt kind of heavy.

And then came the blood. Oh goodness, is this bloody show? After giving birth to 2 boys, I am still unsure of the signs of labor. I could feel the tender thing down there again. Is it the umbilical cord? Is it the baby?......................................With no time to waste, my mummy and I took a cab down to
Dr Yeap's clinic.


Vaginal Vault Prolapse

After checking, the good news is the tender thing bulging out down there has nothing to do with the baby and baby is still healthy and fine in my womb but the bad news is I have Vaginal Vault Prolapse,
Dr Yeap tried to push the bulge back in but it kept slipping out. She tried to slip a big plastic ring (yikes!) in to support my vaginal vault but this failed also, the ring kept dropping out. And so I was referred to her friend at Mount E Novena, a urogynae, to see what could be done.

Dr Lee, the urogynae, checked me and informed that nothing could be done at the moment. There is no way a plastic ring will fit me. All I can do now is to rest more and wait till I deliver and see how is my condition. There is a 50-50 percent chance that I will recover, else surgery can be done a few months after I deliver Rayes.

So Dr Yeap stopped my medication (taken previously to reduce contractions which started at week 31) and informed us that we are ready to welcome Rayes if he is ready to come out (at week 36). However, extra care must be taken during delivery because of the vaginal vault prolapse.

The long wait ahead

And so, I have no choice but to rest now.....because the moment I stand up, I could feel the "thing" slipping out again......

I kind of blame myself for this episode because maybe it could have been avoided if I heed Dr Yeap's advice and rest properly. I just do not have the capability to carry my baby to full term.....

But to be positive, this is actually not a serious problem..It caused me some inconvenience at most, because I could not walk much. On the bright side, this is actually a good chance for me to rest. However, I really do hope that I do not need to go through any surgery after delivery as it will surely affect my breastfeeding journey. Oh well, but what to do, it's useless for me to worry now as there is nothing I can do.

Let me go to God then, He will surely know what to do. I am so so so glad that no matter what happens in life, He will always be around to comfort my troubled soul.


And so I prayed on that Saturday night.....because I know that God's plan is the best......


Lessons learnt:


  • Listen to doctor's advice
  • Take good care of yourself before you can take care of others
  • Start doing Kegel exercises (no matter pregnant or not) to strengthen your pelvic floor muscles which support the uterus, bladder, small intestine and rectum. You can be physically fit yet have weak pelvic muscles because they are often neglected. They will start giving you problems with age also.
  • It's also time to get my fitness back! (after my confinement)

To be continued in Part 2......


Kai Sin


No comments:

Post a Comment