Tuesday 5 January 2016

Lessons I learned from Taekwondo Part 3

3. Winning is subjective

Does clinching a gold medal mean you have won? Not necessary. If there's a great difference in standards between the both of you, and you win marginally, then you have lost. If you fight in the arena as if you can't wait to get out, then you have lost. If you don't have the courage to attack even though you have so many opportunities , then you have lost. If you have a couldn't care less attitude during trainings, then you have lost. If you don't care about your teammates, then you have lost. If you think that you are the world's greatest because of the medals in your hands, then you have lost. If your coach doesn't even want to see you fight anymore, then you have lost. The list goes on.
The medal is meaningless.

Does going home empty handed mean you have lost? Not necessary. If your coach cheers for you, and even see you as a motivation to continue coaching, then you have won. If you are a novice player fighting a X times national champion and showing no signs of fear, then you have won. If you are fighting the bout with a serious injury yet you persevere till the end with your strong will, then you have won. If you stayed back after every trainings to train your kicks, and everybody can see your improvement, then you have won. If the well being of your opponent is your priority, then you have won. If you see this experience as a step nearer to your goal, then you have won. If you celebrate your teammates' and opponents' successes, then you have won.The list goes on. You brought home something more valuable then the medals.

I always look forward to the reflection session after each tournament, I love writing long reflections to my coaches and then look forward to their replies. To me, words of affirmation from my coach is much more important than the medals or trophies. But each player should also have some awareness of their own performance and not rely too heavily on other people's opinion. I am blessed with a great coach, so it's a different story.

In the arena of life, winning and success are both subjective. Nobody gives me an accurate gauge except for God. As a teacher, I work neither for my principal nor the ministry of education but for God. I aim to follow no one's footsteps but those of the one and only true leader, Jesus. I imagine God nodding and smiling at me with each tiny little step that I take using all my effort.

Galatians 1:10
10 For do I now persuade men, or God? Or do I seek to please men? For if I still pleased men, I would not be a bondservant of Christ.



No matter how great we think we are, we are nothing without Him. Let us use our talents wisely to serve Him.

Matthew 25:14-30

14 “For the kingdom of heaven is like a man traveling to a far country, who called his own servants and delivered his goods to them. 15 And to one he gave five talents, to another two, and to another one, to each according to his own ability; and immediately he went on a journey. 16 Then he who had received the five talents went and traded with them, and made another five talents. 17 And likewise he who had received two gained two more also. 18 But he who had received one went and dug in the ground, and hid his lord’s money. 19 After a long time the lord of those servants came and settled accounts with them.
20 “So he who had received five talents came and brought five other talents, saying, ‘Lord, you delivered to me five talents; look, I have gained five more talents besides them.’ 21 His lord said to him, ‘Well done, good and faithful servant; you were faithful over a few things, I will make you ruler over many things. Enter into the joy of your lord.’ 22 He also who had received two talents came and said, ‘Lord, you delivered to me two talents; look, I have gained two more talents besides them.’ 23 His lord said to him, ‘Well done, good and faithful servant; you have been faithful over a few things, I will make you ruler over many things. Enter into the joy of your lord.’
24 “Then he who had received the one talent came and said, ‘Lord, I knew you to be a hard man, reaping where you have not sown, and gathering where you have not scattered seed. 25 And I was afraid, and went and hid your talent in the ground. Look, there you have what is yours.’
26 “But his lord answered and said to him, ‘You wicked and lazy servant, you knew that I reap where I have not sown, and gather where I have not scattered seed. 27 So you ought to have deposited my money with the bankers, and at my coming I would have received back my own with interest. 28 Therefore take the talent from him, and give it to him who has ten talents.
29 ‘For to everyone who has, more will be given, and he will have abundance; but from him who does not have, even what he has will be taken away. 30 And cast the unprofitable servant into the outer darkness. There will be weeping and gnashing of teeth.’












No comments:

Post a Comment