Monday 27 February 2017

#Bento 157 - Chicken stew with noodles and poached eggs

Today I cooked "anyhow" chicken stew. Why anyhow? Because I did not really follow any recipe and just threw in the ingredients I like. One pot of goodness which contains - chicken thigh meat cut into small chunks, onion, garlics, mushrooms, tomatoes, carrots and potatoes. Missing some celery, which will be perfect as it adds some "green" into this stew. 

And for the seasonings - I added 1.5 tbsp of light soy sauce, 1/2 tbsp of oyster sauce and maybe 1 tsp of dark soy sauce for its colour. Oh ya, I added some garlic powder too. 

All these in a pot and simmer for 45 min - 1 hour and it's done! Easy! Other than one pot rice cooker meals, this stew will be in my to-cook list during weekends in future.

For the poached eggs, I didn't use the usual methods but the method which I prepared half boiled eggs. However, the eggs were left in the water for 13 min instead. The result isn't too bad, just that it's a bit difficult to peel the shell (any solutions?) and the yolk isn't as runny. But this is good in a way as it won't be so fragile and breaks easily in the lunchboxes. So maybe next time I shall tweak my timing to 11-12 min instead. Isn't cooking fun? Like doing some science experiments......

It's a pity my fresh parsley kind of withered in my fridge, it will definitely work magic if I use them as garnish for my bentos today..sob sob. Hence, I used parsley flakes instead. 


Rayson's bento

Hubby's bento

Poached egg
I would also like to share a video for some food for thought. I think it's a really good video that reflects reality in society nowadays. Take some time to reflect if we fall into this trap as well, do we spend so much time and energy to uphold an image just for the purpose of getting "likes" on social media? Is the picture that you have uploaded the real you? 




Kai Sin


No comments:

Post a Comment