Saturday 30 July 2016

#Bento 113 - Totoro lunchbox - Luncheon meat and potato in tomato sauce



I have, for the longest time, wanted to prepare a Totoro lunch box for Rayson. So, I finally get to work on Thursday night.

It consumes a a bit of time, I really do not know how those Mummies manage preparing charaben (a shortened form of character bento) for their children everyday. Perhaps all I need is more practice.

Rayson has a small beanie Totoro which he brings everywhere (except school) everyday but we lost it and till now my heart still twitches when I think of it. Why? Because it was given to me by my brother 10+ years ago and bought from Japan. We will not be able to find an identical one anymore. Sigh.......where could it be?

Rayden's bear and Rayson's Totoro. They are brothers too, according to Rayson
Totoro and chi-totoro

Totoro's grey color is achieved by mixing the sushi rice with crushed black sesame. I think I went a shade too dark. Will improve should I ever do any Totoros again.
The tummy and eyes are cheese. The pupils are black sesames and prints on the tummy are punched out from nori. Whiskers are spaghetti.

I prepared the all time favorite, luncheon meat and potato in tomato sauce.
Fry some garlic till it is fragrant, add in diced luncheon meat and pan fry till they are crisp or turned a bit brown at the sides. 
Add in diced potatoes ( already coooked) and tomato sauce, mix them well and the dish is done!
Easy, isn't it?


Rayson's lunchbox

Rayden's lunchbox


Hubby's lunchbox
My own lunchbox
I was confident that Rayson will be able to finish his lunchbox, but a bit worried about Rayden because even though he has roughly the same appetite as Rayson, he is not as fast (well, depending on the food also...=S). So Rayden might feel a bit of stress if he brings his own lunchbox as he could not finish his food in time. 

However, to my surprise, Rayden whipped his lunchbox clean! Great to hear! It's such a joy to hear that they have enjoyed their food and they look really cute when I went to fetch them home, carrying their own school bags and holding their own identical lunchox bags.

I really thank God for my life. Happy weekends to all!

Kai Sin


1 comment: