Friday 23 September 2016

My favorite kind of Singapore Breakfast

Breakfast is my favorite meal of the day! 

I have always been an early bird, even before I was married. I enjoy waking up early in the morning for some exercise and reward myself with a sumptuous breakfast. Waking up early gives me a very good feeling because I feel that I have made good use of every second of my life. 

While I used to enjoy eating American and Yakun breakfast, ever since I started to cook for my family, I realized these breakfast sets are actually very easy to recreate at the comfort of your own home. What you need is just some nice cutleries and setup to create the right ambience. What's more, you can save quite a bit of money too! Of course, eating at restaurants once in a while is good too, but you know after having kids, everything is times 2, 3 or 4.

Today, I will share on how to create a Yakun breakfast set which consists of half-boiled eggs, kaya toast and a cup of coffee, selling for $4-$5 at their cafe....or have I lost track of their pricings? 

My homemade 'Yakun' breakfast set

Making Perfect Half Boiled eggs


Half boiled egg is the soul of this Singapore toast set, so making perfect half boils is the key to your success.

I have a quite foolproof method to making perfect half boils. Please do share with me if you have other methods as well.

Method

Before I begin the steps below, I will take out 2 eggs from the fridge.
  1. Boil 500 ml of water
  2. When the water boils, pour in 150 ml of room temperature water
  3. Turn off the fire and put your eggs in. (Works for up to 4 eggs, I have not tried more than 4 eggs)
  4. Cover the lid and set your timer to 9 min (* set to 7 min if you are using room temperature eggs)
  5. Your eggs are ready when the timer beeps! 

This method always give me perfect half boiled eggs. Try it!

Best served with pepper and dark soya sauce..yumz!


Preparing the toasts

I use normal Gardenia white toasts. I guess it'll be even better if you buy those thicker toasts.
  1. Preheat your oven at 180 deg for 10 min 
  2. Toast your breads for about 10-15 min
  3. When they are done, spread kaya on the sides that are not toasted 
  4. Add some chilled slices of butter on your toasts


This toast set will be perfect if I learn how to make those thick, aromatic coffeeshop coffee. But too bad I only use 3-in-1 for mine. 

Enjoy your homemade Singapore Style toast set!
Kai Sin


No comments:

Post a Comment